I can imagine as a newly engaged couple that navigating Wedding planning must be quite overwhelming! What do you start with? What budget do I have? What style of Wedding do I want?
Well I'm not sure on the answers to those questions I'm afraid! But I can let you know how you should go about booking a photographer...
Firstly, you need to know what sort of photography is really floating your boat. Are you loving colourful and bright photos? Or darker moody photos? Do you enjoy the posed and styled photos or do you prefer more of the candid and emotive style of photos? Once you know what you like, you can start your hunt for the perfect photographer. As much as you need to love their work, I also think you also need to be able to connect with them and get along with them too. I believe the relationship with your photographer or your videographer will affect the images or video you have. Feeling calm and comfortable around someone will give you the most relaxed photos!
Once you've got your shortlist, drop them all an email and ask their availability and any questions you may have. If they are free and are still fitting the criteria see if they can meet for a coffee, or if you're further afield maybe suggest a phone call or video chat. This is where you'll be able to tell if they are the person for you! I think after this communication you'll pretty much know who your choice is, and if you don't, back to the drawing board!
Now I can only talk about my booking process, but I'll outline it here so you can have a rough idea what to expect:
- If you decided you'd like to go with me as your Wedding Photographer, I ask for a deposit to secure your Wedding date in my diary. It's non-refundable, but totally moveable if you need to change your Wedding date and I'm still free!
- I then put together a receipt and contract for us, which needs signed from both parties. This just gives us a physical paper trail of what's going on and what we're agreeing on together.
- I'll keep in touch with you until your Wedding day, and I always encourage a chat, a rant or as much question asking that you might need! I'm here to listen and help if I can :)
- Before your Wedding day I will schedule a venue visit with yourselves. I find these so helpful! Not only is it another chance for us to meet up before the big day, but it is an opportunity to discuss where we might do group shots, couple shots and talk about what we might do if the weather isn't dry! Doing this before hand enables us to be efficient and make the most of the time on your Wedding day. Oh, and if I'm travelling to your Wedding I usually do the venue visit with you the day before the Wedding! You won't miss out.
- Your final payment is due no later than 2 weeks before your Wedding date and after this has been paid I will send you your final receipt. I will also send over a questionnaire for you to fill in about your day. This will give me all the information I need to photograph your Wedding, including a list of group shots, contact details, and your schedule of the day. I keep this with me all day long.
And then it's time to get Wed! Happy days!